Sunday, December 20, 2009

Disable Administrator UAC in Windows Vista.

Here's the situation.

 Had a customer who brought in a laptop they had purchased off their work. Now the laptop was obviously part of the work network and had all its permissions set accordingly, and when he bought the lappy off his work they didn't reload it for him. So he had this laptop that he couldn't use properly, because he couldn't install/uninstall any software or make any significant changes to the OS, because every time he tried UAC would pop up and ask for the admin password, which he didn't have.
Now, I could've just did a factory restore on the notebook and all would be good. But he had some data on the lappy that needed to be backed up and stuff, plus using my method would be quicker then doing a factory restore.

So, how did I do it?


Trinity Rescue Kit.

This great little tool is awesome for resetting  Vista passwords, but will also help with other little tasks like this.

Bascially the issue with this lappy was permissions. The customers user account was just a user account, and installing applications, making changes to the OS requires Administator privledges. So by booting up TRK, and typing winpass -u "User" I was able to elevate the default user account up to Administrator privledges. Job done.

1 comment:

Kongqueror said...

Hi Lex L... have you ever been able to undo this? I did the same thing but now, the User I elevated remains an Admin. I am thinking I should go into SAM and change a HEX code or something to fix. Looking forward to what you have to say. Thanks!